Friday, January 18, 2013

Sleep....

my sleeping area
The sleeping accommodations the past few weeks have been so-so.  I can't wait to be home in my own bed tomorrow!!!
My recommendation, if you're coming to HHI and you have the funds available or you can squeeze a little more out, is to get your own room, at a minimum, and your own bathroom is best. 
Although I love my roommates, I'm very grateful I've met them, and I have thoroughly enjoyed spending time bonding over the craziest things (E&Is), it sometimes adds a little extra stress to an already difficult situation of food detox.  For me the most stressful part was when I wasn't feeling well at night (first two weeks) and I was waking up every couple hours or so... all night long, tossing and turning in noisy crinkly organic cotton sheets... or trying to quietly bolt from room to cough outside so as not to wake anyone...  During those times, it would have been nice to be on my own so I could go to the restroom or cough as much as I needed to without worrying about waking someone up.  Food detox seems to involve lots of restroom time and coughing.  The rest of the time, I really enjoyed having roommates. 

It was exhausting those first two weeks that I wasn't sleeping well.  Probably mostly detox symptoms waking me up and keeping me awake.  Some nights though, it was lack of ventilation.  There are a number of bedrooms in the house I was staying in (Casa Grande).  I think at least 5 or 6 rooms in the house...  In my room there were 4 of us!!!!  And, our air-conditioning system was connected to another room with 3 people.  They wanted the AC off and we wanted it on...  The ventilation was so bad in our room that it was unbearable some of the nights the AC was off.  Finally at the end of the second week, when we simply couldn't take it anymore, I hadn't slept through a full night in two weeks, we went to maintenance and they turned the AC back on.  Not even sure why it was off.  Anyways, it was back on and it was glorious!  I finally slept through the night!  And I've slept every night since, with maybe getting up only once in the middle of the night.  Thank goodness, otherwise I don't think I would have made it.  I heard complaints from others as well.  It's unfortunate they haven't been able to set up a better air-conditioning system for the sardine houses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment