Sunday, January 27, 2013

Raw Vegan Egg Salad... Still Experimenting...


first attempt raw vegan egg salad - only so-so
One recipe I'm currently working on is raw vegan egg salad...
My significant other had the genius idea early last week that Renate's Better Than Tuna could be a good starting point for eggless egg salad!

second attempt raw vegan egg salad
I've made a couple attempts that I'm still not happy with sharing quite yet...  So, I'm still working on it.

I've noticed a lot of raw recipes for raw vegan egg salad use cashews and/or almonds.  I just found in my notes from a lecture by Anna Maria Clement that cashews and peanuts have a fungus that has been found to be a carcinogen! 

second attempt raw vegan egg salad-
not even as good as first...
It's also my understanding that it's difficult to find truly raw cashews.  Often when processed they are heated above 115 degrees Fahrenheit, i.e. not raw.  Food heated above 115 starts losing enzymes that make it easier for us to digest the food.  Same is true for raw almonds.  Any almonds, even organic, coming from California have been pasteurized (not truly raw).  It is possible to get truly raw (imported) almonds from The Raw Food World.  They also appear to have truly raw cashews but, since cashews have a fungus, I probably won't go for them.  It's sad because cashews use to be the secret ingredient in my broccoli green bean casserole!!! 
I read a suggestion for using pine nuts and macadamias in place of cashews so, I'll be continuing to experiment!  Some other ideas I've been experimenting with are varying amounts of turmeric, mustard, cauliflower...


No comments:

Post a Comment