Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sprouting! and, possible mistake....

clover sprouts
I started 4 different sprouting seeds 3 nights ago...  garlic, clover, broccoli, fenugreek.
First night they were soaked overnight (a bit of a long soak...). 
The following couple days I've been trying to remember to rinse them twice a day.
To minimize addition of chemicals and unknown substances to the sprouts, I've been using distilled water for the soaking and rinsing. 
I don't have a distiller, I'm simply purchasing gallon jugs of distilled water. 
To conserve water, I save the soaking and rinsing water in an empty gallon jug.  I then use the conserved water to water the sunflower sprout tray that I bought on Sunday. 

garlic sprouts
To minimize rinsing water, I pour fresh distilled water into the first sprouting container, just enough to cover the seeds and give them a good swoosh around.  With the Easy Sprouter I can then lift the inner container to drain off the water into the outer container.  I then pour the rinse water from the outer container into the next set of sprouts to be rinsed; and so on...
So today, a little less than 3 days from start of soak, I decided the fenugreek sprouts were done.  They were probably actually done last night (only 2 days from start of soak!).  We walked into the house this afternoon and definitely smelled the fenugreek!  I got about 3/4 cup of fenugreek sprouts from 1 tablespoon of seeds!  These sprouts were done in half the time noted on the HHI soaking and rinsing times table.  So, I wonder if because I soaked them for so long initially, that they sprouted faster...? 
fenugreek sprouts - done in less than 3 days

A little fruit fly flew out of the sprout containers of fenugreek and I think the clover...  Not sure if anything can be done about fruit flies...???  Fenugreek sprouts are now in the fridge ready for feasting.

Whereas the fenugreek seemed to sprout speedily, the other sprouts seem slower.  Granted, the rinsing time indicated for fenugreek is 4 days and for broccoli and clover is 6 days.  So, still 3 more days for those, except....

suspicious broccoli sprouts
I was doing a check of the other sprouts prior to rinsing...  and it looked to me like the broccoli sprouts were moldy!  ugh :(  I dumped the sprouts into the trash...  Then I thought...  I wonder if what I was seeing was just the fine hairs of roots...???  I grabbed a bunch of the sprouts back out of the trash for a closer inspection.  Upon closer inspection, they did not look moldy after all...  But, my close-up vision isn't what it use to be...  I hear it's possible to improve vision on the HHI diet and doing daily eye exercises.  I hope to work on that at some point too!
At any rate, I showed the suspicious sprouts to my significant other for further philosophizing.  He didn't think they looked moldy either.  But, I had already thrown them in the trash and I didn't exactly want to pull them out of the trash and use them...  So, in the trash they stay and another batch will be started.  Next time I'll shake them up a bit and look closer before throwing the baby out with the bathwater...  poor sprouts :(




No comments:

Post a Comment