Thursday, January 24, 2013

Zucchini "Spaghetti" and Raw Red Pepper Marinara Sauce

zucchini spaghetti via Paderno Turning Slicer
Last night I used my new Paderno Turning Slicer to make zucchini "Spaghetti."  I also made raw red pepper marinara sauce.  The slicer is awesome!  I bought mine through Amazon.com.
It's so simple!  Just wash zucchini, cut both ends off the zucchini, insert into slicer, push and turn, and Wa La!  Zucchini Spaghetti!

For the Raw Red Pepper Marinara Sauce..
Recipe given as follows:

4 chopped red bell peppers
1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 Tablespoon Frontier Pizza Seasoning
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Fresh oregano, to taste
Fresh Thyme, to taste
Braggs Aminos, Dulse, Or Kelp granules, to taste
Liquid Stevia Extract, to taste

1. In food processor, combine all ingredients.
2. Season to taste.
3. If a thicker sauce is desired, add 1 teaspoon psyllium husks powder.

This is trial #1....
Although I was just at Worden's Organic Farm today for veggie pick-up, they didn't have any of the fresh herbs noted in the recipe.  So, I just used dried.
This is also a pretty big recipe for just two people so, I halved the recipe as follows:
I chopped two red bell peppers. 
ingredients for raw red pepper marinara sauce
My significant other isn't a huge onion fan and raw onion can be pretty strong so I only used about maybe 1/8 cup of chopped sweet onion.  For the herbs, I used a teaspoon each of the following dry herbs... basil, oregano, thyme, and kelp powder.  I used about 3/4 Tablespoon of the pizza seasoning.  Instead of 1 whole clove of garlic, I used two cloves that I pressed through garlic press.  I didn't use the fibers remaining in the garlic press.
I squeezed about 1/3 of a lemon for the fresh lemon juice.
I don't yet have any liquid Stevia so I used a tiny scoop of dry Stevia.
Although I'm suppose to be minimizing salt and olive oil intake because of my elevated blood pressure....  I did use a tiny squirt (probably only 1/2 teaspoon) of Braggs and 1 Tablespoon (which I found to be about 1/3 of 1/4 cup) of basil infused olive oil.  I figure 1 Tablespoon spread throughout the recipe wouldn't be too bad... 
Because I love cayenne pepper, I also added a large dash of cayenne :)
The halved recipe served two and there are enough leftovers for another round for two.
The recipe came out super delicious!!!  And my significant other liked it too!!!  The amazing part of that is....  he has always claimed not to like peppers, LOL :)  But, red are definitely more yummy than green, and when seasoned and prepared in different ways, you wouldn't even really know...
I served with lightly steamed broccoli...  which I know is still not an HHI meal, since no sprouts...
We finished the meal off with some soaked and dehydrated pecans for dessert.
This was actually quite filling.  Although, while we were sitting watching our favorite comedy TV show, Modern Family... the familiar cravings of sweet chocolate were felt by both of us.  Before I went to Hippocrates Health Institute, we use to have vegan chocolate chips every night after dinner while watching TV...  Quite a habit we had gotten into...  We didn't give in last night though, we just went to sleep. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment