Monday, January 21, 2013

Sprouting!!

getting ready to sprout
After getting back home from dinner at T.G.I. Fridays (see Bringing It Home blog post)...

soaking seeds
I started getting small seed sprouts going!  Small seed sprouts can be grown in Easy Sprouters or mason jars.  I'll be experimenting with both; starting with the Easy Sprouter. 
I ordered organic sprouting seeds broccoli, garlic, fenugreek, and clover from The Raw Food World
I order these while I was still at HHI so I would have them as soon as I got home.  
To start sprouting, seeds first need to be soaked.  According to the HHI sheet on soaking and rinsing times... fenugreek, clover, and broccoli seeds only need to be soaked 6 hours.  Garlic isn't listed, but I'm assuming similar.  What I'm wondering is...  what if you soak them longer...???  like say, 9 hours... 
easy sprouters
I set them soaking before I went to bed and I slept like a baby...  The first time I slept really well in 3 weeks!  It's good to be back home.
So, we'll find out if this extra soaking was a detriment or not...  
After soaking them in the Easy Sprouters in an upright position, I then drained off the soaking water, which I reserved, and put the Easy Sprouters at a tilt on a wooden drying rack.  They're next to the kitchen window.  Sprouts only need indirect light.  Although not specifically recommended for the Easy Sprout style sprouter, the HHI sprout person recommended putting the mason jar style sprouters at a tilt so, I figured, what the heck, I'll try the tilt with the Easy Sprout too.  Supposedly the tilt helps with air circulation around the sprouts.  The Easy Sprouters have a special already-tilted piece in them, so I'm not sure this added tilt will make any difference...


No comments:

Post a Comment