Friday, January 25, 2013

Raw Vegan Cheezy Sauce

Yesterday I finally went out and bought some organic pine nuts because I really wanted to make a raw vegan cheezy sauce for dinner.  Although, I'm not sure the pine nuts were raw but, I'd make this the same way either way.  I ordered raw organic pine nuts from Tierra Farm and they should be coming in today....
So, the Hippocrates Health Institute chefs have a few different cheezy recipes.  They have recipes for a cheezy sauce for Pasta Carbonara; Nut Cheese for Raw Pizza; and, an Alfredo Sauce.

ingredients for cheezy sauce
I took all these recipes and sort of mixed and matched.  I also tried to half the recipe since the recipe amounts in the HHI notes make large quantities.
The recipe I formulated from the above as follows:
1 cup macadamia nuts (soaked, rinsed, dehydrated, soaked, rinsed)
1/2 cup pine nuts (soaked and rinsed)
1 teaspoon kelp powder
dash of cayenne pepper
2 cloves of garlic (just thrown in to blender)
1 teaspoon Italian herb infused olive oil (yum)
1 small scoop dry Stevia (I still don't have liquid)
1 teaspoon Frontier Pizza Seasoning
small dash of nutmeg
1/4 to 1/3 lemon squeezed for ~1 ounce of juice
water to top of nuts (once all is in blender)
1. In a blender, combine all ingredients.  Blend until very smooth and season to taste.

In the HHI recipes the macadamias are simply indicated as "soaked and rinsed."  I had already soaked and dehydrated macadamias the other day so, I simply took the soaked and dehydrated macadamias and soaked them again for another 1+ hours while I was soaking the pine nuts.
pine nuts soaking - water was clear to start!
I couldn't find anywhere in the HHI notes how long to soak the pine nuts...  So, I searched online...  I found various recommendations from "don't soak pine nuts" to the extended 12+ hour version.  I couldn't believe pine nuts would need 12+ hours to soak...  and, I really wanted cheezy sauce dinner!  So, I soaked the pine nuts for 2 hours.  After seeing the distilled water turn cloudy while soaking the pine nuts, I'm glad I soaked them!  At a minimum I would rinse them! 
After 1/2 hour I poured off the cloudy water and added fresh distilled water for the remaining 1.5 hours of soak.  When I did this, I also put the macadamias in with the pine nuts to soak concurrently.

For the blender, I'm using the Vitamix Turboblend VS.  This is a new machine.  I had a Vitamix previously years ago and loved it.  I had that one for 15 years and then I foolishly gave it away...  I hope the person I gave it to is still loving it!  If you're looking into getting a Vitamix, I definitely recommend getting the VS, variable speed, version!  Since HHI-store is running a 20% discount on their kitchen equipment in January, it was actually cheaper for me to purchase through the HHI-store (I didn't have to pay for shipping either since I was picking it up in-person).

I think the above recipe is delicious!  If you're not enamored by garlic and you're only using this sauce over zucchini noodles, you may want to reduce to one clove of garlic.  As you can see in the photo, the sauce is a little thick.  For thinner, I think you can simply add more water.  Or... maybe it would have been smoother if I had simply soaked but not dehydrated the macadamias... Soaking nuts just in time for using in a recipe takes some planning...

cheezy sauce dinner

We put the cheezy sauce over left-over zucchini noodles from previous night's zucchini noodle and raw red pepper sauce dinner.  We also put it over some steamed green beans.  I have to say, and my significant other agrees whole-heartedly, that the cheezy sauce over the steamed green beans was absolutely delicious!  It was also nice to have something warm since it's been "Florida cold" the past couple nights.  Tonight I'll probably put the cheezy sauce over steamed broccoli.  I was okay'd by the nurse at HHI to have 80% raw and 20% cooked so I've been taking advantage of that at dinner time...  Also makes the significant other happy since he's still adjusting.  He is the best though.  So supportive, which is awesome!  Still not an HHI meal, since still no sprouts...  getting there...  and, while I was writing this post, FedEx came with the soil sprouting trays, yae!

No comments:

Post a Comment