Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Nearly Out of Sprouts!


HHI Sprout House
I'm nearly out of sprouts! 
All the sprouts that I had ordered from the HHI-store and picked up the day I left HHI (4 days ago) are now used up.  I had ordered one pound each sunflower, pea sprouts, and wheatgrass.  Two days ago I used up the sunflower sprouts.  Yesterday afternoon I used the last of the pea sprouts.  This morning I used up the last of the wheatgrass... squeaking out less than one ounce of wheatgrass juice. 
So, yesterday I placed an order with Got Sprouts? for another pound each of pea sprouts and wheatgrass, which should arrive sometime today.  As it turns out, when you order sprouts from the HHI-store... you actually end up getting sprouts from Got Sprouts?.  I was kind of hoping to get the HHI sprouts!!  No biggie I guess.. I was just hoping for the HHI sprouts since I ordered from the HHI-store...  Wouldn't you think?  The HHI sprout house is truly beautiful.  The sprouts magnificent.
Oh well, and speaking of...  when I was at HHI, I wondered if they ordered sprouts/wheatgrass to meet demands when they have a "full house" of attendees...  The first week I was at HHI, I thought the wheatgrass was really pretty good, for wheatgrass...  The second week, during which there were about 110 people staying at HHI, the wheatgrass didn't seem to taste quite as good to me.  I thought I would get more use to it but, it seemed the opposite...  I don't know though so, maybe it was just me.
Sunflower Sprouts from Jessica's Organic Farm
 
Harvested Sunflower Sprouts

At any rate and luckily, I have a beautiful tray of sunflower sprouts from Jessica's Organic Farm.  Although I hadn't liked the wheatgrass and pea sprout trays they had on Sunday, I did think the sunflower sprouts looked pretty good.  Since I ran out of the Got Sprouts? sunflower sprouts a couple days ago, I've been using the tray from Jessica's.  The green juice I've been making with the sunflower sprouts from Jessica's tastes much milder than when using the sunflower sprouts from Got Sprouts?.  I don't recall what type of seed the Got Sprout? sunflowers were..  You can see the type of sunflower seed Jessica's uses in the picture below.  They're not using the black oil sunflower seed recommended by HHI.  So, it will be interesting to see the taste difference once I get some of my own black oil sunflower seeds sprouting...  Hopefully soon!  I finally found sprouting trays and ordered them from Greenhouse Megastore.  They have 10 trays for $12, plus shipping.  They have both with holes and without.  I ordered them on Monday night shipping FedEx Ground.  They departed FedEx Champaign, IL, this morning...  Hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow or Friday.  I should probably start getting the seeds ready!  I just realized I need more larger jars...

I really enjoy harvesting the sunflower sprouts!  It is so awesome to be able to cut them fresh!

Of note, the one pound each of wheatgrass, pea sprouts, and sunflower sprouts ran out in 3 days for the level of use I was doing...  4 ounces of wheatgrass juice daily (really only for 3 days, Sun/Mon/Tues and one ounce today); 12 ounces of sunflower and pea sprout juice for green drinks daily (really only for 3 days).  I was consuming about 8 ounces of the sprout juice and my significant other was getting about 4 ounces daily.  My drinks were 8 ounces each and his were about 6 ounces each as he's slowly adjusting...  We weren't eating any of the sprouts.  Just using them for juices.  This will change as I start to grow my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment