Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Status of Wheatgrass...

wheatgrass with mold
So, I got a great first-time harvests of pea sprouts and sunflower sprouts this past weekend but, the wheatgrass...  well, it's still growing...  
I have been harvesting wheatgrass the last two days for morning wheatgrass juice.  I'm not going to get as much out of this 10x20 tray as I probably should be getting.  Hippocrates Health Institute (HHI) "sprouting Brian's" notes indicate a 10x20 tray should produce 20 ounces of wheatgrass juice.  I'm probably only going to get maybe 10 ounces.  One of the reasons is because I'm cutting the grass fairly high up from the soil, because... my wheatgrass has mold!   At least that's what I think it is.... Bummer!!!  In reading my notes from sprouting Brian's 'sprouting is easy' class at HHI, the notes indicate that 90 percent of the time, mold issues result from lack of air movement.  So luckily I live in Florida! where just about every room in every house has a ceiling fan! LOL!  I don't like having electrical things running all the time but, I'm going to see if running the ceiling fan on low works for minimizing and hopefully eliminating mold issues in the wheatgrass!!  To date, none of the sunflower or pea sprouts have had mold that I've noticed...  The wheatgrass gets pretty thick though.  "Sprouting Brian" noted that, the other 10 percent of the time, mold issues may be from too high temperature or too high humidity.  Brian indicated that sprouts like the temperature to be between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit and for the humidity to be below 50 percent.  Since starting sprouting, the air-conditioner is set at 74.  Normally I would let the house get up to 80, so this is definitely a "life change" from before attending Hippocrates!  LOL!
second shoot
I am kind of wondering if I didn't water too much in the beginning and cause locally high humidity within the sprout tray...  Or, maybe because I was reusing rinse water from smaller leafy green sprouts to water the bigger sprouts there was, perhaps, contamination... 
For my next round of sprouts I'm "simply" using a 32 ounce "Professional Sprayer," triple volume high output adjustable nozzle (see photo).  I wish I could remember where I bought this... I bought it some time ago...  Maybe Target or Wal-Mart...  I'm not sure.  It's a great sprayer.  I fill it up (~32 ounces) and spray the small leafy sprouts in the Easy Sprouters (broccoli, clover, fenugreek, garlic) and then I spray the soils trays of sunflower, pea shoots, and wheatgrass.  Currently I have 4 soil trays of sprouts plus the older wheatgrass that is partially harvested.  Spraying all these sprouts, plus a little on the mung bean sprouts, uses up the 32 ounces.  I'm using a lot less water using the sprayer.  It remains to be seen if the water supply is sufficient to the sprouts.  I'm trying to use minimal water since I'm currently watering with distilled water purchased in one-gallon containers from grocery store.  Not exactly a cheap way to water...
I've continued to let the wheatgrass grow while I harvest this week because I haven't noticed but one blade that has had a second shoot (see photo).  According to "sprouting Brian," it's best to harvest as soon as the second shoot emerges, before the wheatgrass starts to get bitter.  I have to admit, the wheatgrass juice I've been juicing from my freshly cut wheatgrass has very little, if any, bitterness.  Quite smooth, in fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment