Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Raw Pizza - Part 1

dehydrating soaked seeds
Making raw vegan pizza is not a simple task...  There are many many tasks spread over a number of days...
For the crust, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds need to be soaked and dehydrated.  Almond meal also needs to be prepared.
In preparation for the nut cheese, macadamia nuts and pine nuts need to be soaked and dehydrated.
So, I went about soaking a bunch of different things so as to use the dehydrator efficiently.  I dehydrated all these seeds and nuts a couple days ago when I made the flax crackers too!
After all the soaking and dehydrating is done, it is time to dig in to the crust.
soaking nuts for raw pizza and much more....

HHI Raw Pizza Crust Recipe as follows:
1 cup sunflower seeds (soaked and dehydrated)
1 cup almond meal
1 cup pumpkin seeds (soaked and dehydrated)
3/4 cup flax seeds, ground
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons psyllium husks powder
3 teaspoons herbs de provence
5 drops liquid stevia extract (optional)
2 Tablespoons Braggs Aminos (also optional)
1 2/3 cup water

1. In food processor, combine all the nuts/seeds, psyllium, and dried herbs.
2. Process until a fine crumble is achieved.
processing pizza dough
3. Add the remaining ingredients and process well.  The mixture will come together as a slightly sticky dough.  During the Kitchen Techniques Class at HHI, Chef Ken said this part of the mixing could also be done by hand in a bowl..
4. By hand, take the mixture and form it into a large ball.  If necessary, this can be put in fridge for next day.
5. Using a paraflex sheet or unbleached parchment paper, place the dough ball on a dehydrator tray. 
6. Smooth out to form a large round, leaving the edges raised as the cruts.
pizza dough ready for dehydrator
7. Dehydrate overnight.
8. Flip and dehydrate for the remainder of the day. Removing paraflex.
9. Sauce and top with your choice of toppings and dehydrate again overnight.


 I pretty much followed the recipe as above with the following exceptions.
- I halved the recipe.
- I didn't have Herbs De Provence so I used "Italian Herb" mixture instead.
- I used 1 teaspoon Braggs Liquid Aminos.
- I forgot to add the garlic clove...
- I used pre-packaged organic coarsely ground flax seed.  But, one of these days I will grind my own in the vitamix.

Stay tuned for Raw Pizza - Part 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment