Saturday, January 26, 2013

Showering & Lymph Massage

A non-food thing that has changed since going to Hippocrates is my morning routine.  I use to be on the earthy-crunchy side of showering... that is, not necessarily showering every day...  gotta conserve water ya know! LOL :)   If I don't feel dirty...  why waste the water?  I also have this strange thing about not wanting to get wet...
Anyways, that's all changed now.  In the book, Hippocrates Health Program, A Proven Guide to Healthful Living, by Brian Clement, it states that "bathing should be done a minimum of every 24 hours."  Of course, it's probably best to bathe with filtered water.  The home filter systems are pricey but I may look into getting a shower-head filter.  I just found an H2O International shower head filter that removes 99% chlorine on Amazon.com for $35! but, shipping is extra.  The HHI store online lists it for $70, and you might have to pay shipping too.  Some things at the HHI store are okay priced, some are really pricey.  It's good to support HHI but, if price prevents you from doing it, look elsewhere!
While filtered water is still in the works, I have started showering every day, even when I don't feel like it, LOL.  It's becoming a self-care time for me.
Dry brushes and towels for self lymph massaging
While at Hippocrates there are a LOT of lectures/classes to go to.  They're not all required and the schedule can be overwhelming.  But, I did decide to go to the dry brushing class and the lymph massage class.  I went to the dry brushing class first.  I don't remember the name of the person that gave that class.  She recommended it was quicker to use two brushes at once.  I already had one at home from many years ago, so I went and got another.  That was before I went to Linda Neubert-Cloward's Lymphatic System Lecture...  She indicated that dry brushing wasn't really necessary to get the lymph system moving.  A simple wash cloth would suffice.  She taught us how to do a fairly simple self surficial lymph massage that could be done with a wash cloth.  She said we could do the lymph massage with dry wash cloth on dry skin (similar to dry brushing technique).  Then she suggested we could take it one and two steps further using the wash cloth in the shower to wash the body using the same strokes used for the lymph massage and then using a dry towel to dry the body using the same strokes.  Lymph massage 3 times!  Each day should be a clean wash cloth.  So now that is my routine although, I do use the two dry brushes for the first round.  I went out and bought a six pack of new wash cloths and a couple new soft hand towels.  All 100% cotton.  I found it's easier to dry using the lymph massage strokes when using a hand towel rather than a large towel.
My recommendation if you're at or going to Hippocrates is to see Linda Neubert-Cloward's lecture!  I wish I had seen it sooner in my stay there because I probably would have looked into upgrading one of my Swedish massages to a lymph massage with Linda.  Shucks.
Of note, if you're on Facebook, you can look up Linda by searching for "The Rapha Center"
On that site Linda has some videos for self lymph massage.  To see them, click on "photos" then click on "albums" and then click on "videos" and select the video you wish to watch.  She doesn't have the whole body yet but she does have face and breast (great for women and good for men too!).  She said she'll be getting some new videos up soon....  I'll post when I find out when the new ones are up.  Still good to check out what she has up already!

No comments:

Post a Comment