Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Walnut Tacos

Last night I made the walnut tacos, which are pretty famous around the HHI campus!
Recipe given as follows:


3 cups walnuts (soaked and dehydrated)
1-2 cloves garlic
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon Braggs Aminos

1. In food processor, combine all ingredients.
2. Process by pulsing until desired texture is achieved.
3. Season to taste.

To Make a Taco:
1. Use a romaine lettuce leaf for a hard shell taco or a collard green for a soft shell taco.
2. Add some taco meat and toppings (shredded carrot, scallion, chopped onion, hot sauce, shredded lettuce, etc.)
3. Fold or roll and serve.

This is trial #1....
After learning from trial #1 of Renate's Better Than Tuna recipe... I used 3 cups of walnuts measured after they were soaked and dehydrated.  I later learned that I did not dehydrate the walnuts long enough and I think this led to my mixture not staying as large chunks as was served at HHI... not sure...
I love garlic so I used 2 cloves.  I just threw them into the blender whole.  Next time I may crush first....
I used chili powder and cayenne as indicated in the recipe.  I even used the Braggs as indicated since it is only 1 teaspoon spread over 3 cups of walnuts.  I try not to use too much Braggs because of the salt and working on my blood pressure but, I figured this amount is probably okay...
I made my taco with collard green.  My significant other used romaine lettuce leaf.

We then simply topped with leftover chopped celery, zucchini, carrot, cucumber, and I threw some avocado on mine too. 

All in all, once you have a stock of soaked and dehydrated walnuts, this recipe is a breeze and is quite delicious!
Next time I have ingredients for nut-cheez, I may make that to add on as well...

Still not an HHI meal since no sprouts...  sprouts coming soon...  I have been pretty good though about having 1.5 to 2 ounces of wheatgrass juice twice a day and 8 ounces of green juice twice a day.  It's difficult to get it all worked out right away.  I keep plugging!

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog!! Thanks so much and please keep up posted on the things you learn and try… LOVE IT!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's great to hear support :) I hope the blog helps everyone stay motivated and trying things!!!

    ReplyDelete