Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Other sprouting ideas

calendar for tracking sprouting
All this sprouting can get pretty busy and crazy!
Once multiple sets of trays are going, it's difficult to keep track of when what was planted and when covers need to be removed.
So, I put up a new calendar in the sprout area and started noting when things were done and when things need to be done.  I just love this "faerie homes" calendar.  So fitting.
Since I need to be starting sprouts more often than just once a week on the weekends...  I've decided to start splitting things up a little bit so that the work is spread out.  I'm also trying to reduce the amount of time sprouting tasks take in the mornings before I head out of the house.  As it is I'm up at 5:30 a.m. and out the door at 6:45.  The more soil trays I have to water in the morning the earlier I may have to rise... 
Spending this much time at home in the mornings is also a definite "life change" since attending Hippocrates!  I use to get up and be out the door in maybe 15-20 minutes, stopping at dunkin donuts or Starbucks for breakfast...  bad habits!!!  Now I wake up, drink water and take some supplements (which will only be short-term), make and drink wheatgrass juice, shower & lymph massage combo, water sprouts and do any other sprout task in cue, make green drink and finish making/packing lunch.  Head out the door with green drink in hand for the long drive...  but, I digress from sprouting!!!
sunflower soaking and
wheatgrass and pea ready to be soaked on following days
SO... Sprouts need to be soaked, rinsed, and then planted if soil sprouts.  The rinsing/watering is suppose to be done three times per day...
To keep things in the morning minimal, I put the desired amount of seeds in a jar the night before.  Then the next morning all I need to do is fill with water.  That late afternoon or evening the seeds have soaked for at least 8 hours and it's time to start the rinsing phase, which lasts for about one day.  Following this timing, the seeds get planted the next night.
I've also decided to off-set and do only one type of seed per day.  I set some of the jars up ahead of time and use sticky notes to remind myself which mornings they need to be filled with water to start soaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment