Monday, January 21, 2013

Juicing at Home

wheatgrass juicing in Omega 8006 juicer
First full day at home (yesterday, Sunday), got out the juicer and made wheatgrass juice and green juice!  The wheatgrass juice is straight wheatgrass.  The green juice is 1/4 cucumber, 1/4 celery, 1/4 sunflower sprouts, 1/4 pea sprouts.
Although ordered through the HHI-store, the wheatgrass, pea sprouts, and sunflower sprouts actually came from www.gotsprouts.com.
The store ordered the sprouts on Friday.  They arrived and I picked them up next day on Saturday.  By Sunday evening some of the sunflower sprouts were starting to degrade...  So, those aren't lasting too long.  The wheatgrass and pea sprouts, so far doing okay.  I have them in the fridge in Debbie Meyer green bags.  I've been using these bags for over a year to store veggies and they are indeed awesome.  Food definitely stays fresher longer.  My fridge isn't the best though...  Moisture is collecting in the bags so I added a paper towel to each bag today to hopefully prolong the life of the sprouts.
With a different sprout source, a different taste... but, not too bad...  My significant other and I swear that the green juice I'm making is darker green and "heavier" than the HHI juice...  We wonder if they are "watering" down (perhaps with more cucumber) because they are feeding so many people... or, if the cucumbers and sprouts I'm using are making the color and taste difference...  I'm using seedless cucumbers, which I love the taste of, instead of regular lots-o-seeds cucumbers.  I'm thinking the lots-o-seeds cucumbers might make a lighter juice. 
I've now almost used up my first pound of sunflower sprouts so it's a good thing we went to Jessica's Organic Farm in Sarasota yesterday and bought a tray of sunflower sprouts.  I was hoping to also purchase trays of wheatgrass and pea sprouts... but, I wasn't all that impressed by what they had, at least that day...  I can't wait to get my own soil sprouts growing!!!  If only it wasn't so difficult to find the soil sprouting trays!!!  We simply couldn't find them.  We tried Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart...  Home Depot did have the soil that HHI recommended, Lamberts organic potting soil, so we got that.

No comments:

Post a Comment