Sunday, January 6, 2013

Meal Time at HHI


avocado day
Meal time at HHI is nearly 100% raw.  All foods are 100% organic and 100% vegan.  The main course is considered the green sprouts! and green sprouts should make up 50% of each meal (and I believe that's by weight).  I usually have 7 different types of sprouts on my plate including sunflower sprouts, buckwheat spouts, pea sprouts, clover sprouts, broccoli sprouts, mung (Chinese bean) sprouts, and fenugreek sprouts.  I drizzle the raw salad dressing of the day, which is always delicious.  I have one or two raw veggies (e.g. asparagus, sweet pepper, sugar snap peas, and/or string beans if they have them) and a small portion of whatever delicious "side" option is available.  Sides change with each meal but certain food items are used to make the sides on specific days of the week, for example "avocado day" is two days a week, "nut/seed day" is two days a week, "sprouted starchy-carbohydrate day" is two days per week, and there's even a "cooked food day" two days per week.  The first night people usually have a portion of the cooked food to help ease into the raw food diet.  After that, if you're dealing with a health challenge then HHI recommends going 100% raw (i.e. living).

pizza night
broccoli-sprout wrap
Solid meals are only served at lunch time and dinner time.  You might think one would be starving.... but, I'm not.  I'm quite satisfied.  In fact, the first day I was here, I filled my plate high to the sky expecting that I'd be really hungry...  It didn't take me much longer than a day to realize I couldn't eat a plate full of food piled sky high.  The photos represent my typical size meal.  In addition to these meals we get "green drinks" twice a day, one at 10 a.m. and another at 4 p.m.  Green drinks consists of 16 ounces of juice made from cucumber, celery, pea sprouts and sunflower sprouts.  Then add on 2 ounces of wheatgrass juice in the morning and 2 more ounces of wheatgrass juice in the evening and the overall day is very satisfying.  I don't ever feel hungry.  At least that's my experience.  Everyone experiences the change to this diet in different ways.  It might depend on what way they were eating, what toxins they've been exposed to, how many years of a particular diet, if they're dealing with health challenges, and simply everyone's body is different.
As you can imagine, although the food is absolutely gorgeous, there are many a grumblings, especially by those in their first week and those particularly accustomed to the Standard American Diet (SAD).


No comments:

Post a Comment