Sunday, April 14, 2013

Veg'n Chili - Cooking for Camping Series

veg'n chili
Cooking...???
So far most of this blog has been concentrated on raw living foods.
Sometimes though, it's just nice to cook some favorites.
Although some of my favorites aren't raw or living foods, I still think they qualify under the nutritious category :)
I love to cook big batches and freeze for ease when I go camping!! yippee!
One of my favorites is veg'n chili.  This recipe can be made vegan or lacto-vegetarian.
Use ALL organic ingredients when possible.

=I use a large crockpot-slow cooker and, of the two settings on my crockpot, I set on high.
=Then I put directly into the crockpot the following:
~2 cans black beans all contents, which means including the water the beans are in, and a small amount of can rinse water*
* can rinse water means that, after emptying the contents of the can, I add a small amount of water and swoosh this around to try and pick up any remaining can contents
~1 can spicy tomatoes** all contents, which means including juice, and small amount of can rinse water
** my favorite spicy tomatoes to use is Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes with medium green chilies
~2 cups spaghetti sauce***
*** my favorite spaghetti sauce is 365 Organic brand pasta sauce classic
~1 can corn all contents, which means including the water the corn is in (prefer 2 cups fresh or frozen corn)

=Add spices to the crockpot blend and stir as follows:
~2 Tb chili powder (somewhat heaped)


jalapeno finely chopped
~1 Tb cumin powder (somewhat heaped)
~¼ tsp cayenne pepper powder
~1/8 tsp chipotle  chili pepper powder

=Chop and add directly to the crockpot blend the following:
~6 ounces portabella mushrooms, stem removed, chopped
~1/3 cup finely chopped mild/sweet onion
 ~1 beautiful red pepper**** (~ 1 cup) chopped

chopped red pepper
**** of note, only red peppers are ripe peppers, eat ripe :)
~1 and ¾ cup chopped carrot
~3 cups chopped zucchini
~1 cup chopped celery
~2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and finely chopped (3 if not using spicy tomatoes).

=If you would like to add cheese, I recommend the following organic valley cheeses.
These cheeses do not contain animal rennet.
~4 ounces of raw mild cheddar self-shredded
~4 ounces of mozzarella self-shredded

=It takes me about an hour and a quarter to chop and add all the veggies and grate the cheese.  This volume of ingredients fills my large crockpot up to the brim.

=Once that is complete, sit back and let the crockpot crock for another 1 hour, stirring every so often to get the flavors well mixed.
=Turn off crock-pot and let cool.

If you're going to freeze for later, divvy contents into storage containers for freezing.

Camping tip: When I go camping, I put the frozen food containers directly into coolers.  They thaw during the trip and I simply reheat at the campsite.  For the veg'n chili, I usually serve over rice.  I actually bring my rice cooker with me camping.  We camp at sites with electric.  I plug the rice cooker in and away we go.  Serve reheated (re-delicious'd) veg'n chili over rice.  Wa La! 

No comments:

Post a Comment